Sunday, September 24, 2023

Ruminations Over Iron City Beers, a book of poems

 


Ruminations Over Iron City Beers

This book is dedicated to two dear friends, Mary Tomasso, and David Ely, both of whom are natives of Pittsburgh, home to Iron City Beer. The three of us, at different times over the past few decades, have spent more than a minute in various ruminations. In the spirit of those times, that commiseration and friendship, and as a way to honor them, I put together this collection of poems, many of which have been pubished in a variety of small magazines.

You can find the book here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruminations-Over-Iron-City-Beers-ebook/dp/B0CJJN6JMF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YBL4P67GRBTP&keywords=John+michael+flynn+ruminations&qid=1695546467&s=books&sprefix=john+michael+flynn+ruminations%2Cstripbooks%2C74&sr=1-1

I shot the photo on the cover on a rooftop in Manhattan back in 2009. It was part of a larger and quite impressive art installation and this particular piece, titled Figures Walking, was created by the late Polish sculptor and fiber artist, Marta Magdalena Abakanowicz Kosmowska. 

Here is a sample poem from the book:


Lawns Mirror Rendered Sky Frescos 


Inside the green uranium glass of a suburb
though not optimistic 
about another set of volcanic possibilities

I sell myself to eternity 
while panting on pause
amidst identically mannered houses.

Stay open, allow shows of gratitude and piety. 
Row your skiff through the diurnal 
try to be better.

I resume jogging off the foam sweating down my calves,
shampoo’s lemony scent coming on 
released from my hair like it's an old opened purse. 

Having slaughtered many an ambition
arrangement and afterglow
I have come to realize there is no lawful one moment.

There are statements. Glimpses into epiphanies.
I must continue.
I will do so.

Five words in my head know me
only too well: 
Perhaps today will be different. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

John Woods, a Memorial Tribute

"All that is important about my poetry to the general reader lies in the poetry itself." John Woods John Warren Woods was born in ...